Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Full physical exam for health insurance - what to expect?

I'm a 20 year old female and I need to go in for a physical in order to renew my health insurance. If I go to a regular doctor for it (instead of an OB/GYN, as suggested by my mom), what should I expect? I want to know since I'm considering going to my general practitioner for it, but he is a male. I'd like to know if he would have to do anything "invasive," so to speak, which I wouldn't be comfortable with!
--------------------
When I went they asked a bunch of questions and did some blood work. They were looking for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, drug usage, HIV, obesity, etc. They want to see you are healthy and happy with serious pre-existing condition. I had been very healthy and never thought anything of it. Keep in mind they will have access to your prescription records. I got dinged because my doctor prescribed Advair when I had an upper respiratory infection several years ago and it is normally used for asthma. For life insurance company they sent a nurse out to me at home to draw blood and do an HIV swab. In no case did they do anything that was uncomfortable (breast exam or anything like that).
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment