Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How do you deal with mental health issues if you can't afford health insurance?

I have been having anxiety, low self esteem, depression, and suicidal thoughts have been crossing my mind the past few months.. which makes me feel like I need more help then I realized. I work full time but with all of my school loans and other bills i don't think i could afford health insurance because I don't make too much an hour.
--------------------
In the state I live in the public mental health facilities have a "sliding scale fee rate" based on income versus certain allowable expenses. Maybe you could investigate and see if your area is like that. Other than that, if you have a church/religion, often churches will have an affiliation with certain counselors. Short of that, find someone to talk with. Therapy (in my experience) is talking to an interested party that will redirect questions about what you have said back to you and get YOU to find your own answers. So... if you have a good friend with empathy and common sense... they might be able to "fill in" in that role. Often people just want to talk and have someone listen that cares. How about an older relative or relative of a friend (maybe you best friend's aunt or something like that) while avoiding any relationships that might have sexual overtones (men if you are hetero; women if you are lesbian). Someone with empathy and common sense.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment