Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Can your company see what you use your health insurance for?

Can your company see what you use your health insurance for? I want to go to a weight loss physician, but I don't want my company to know that I went to that kind of doctor if I use my insurance. My company is very small (about 20 people) so everyone knows everybody. Will my company see that I used the insurance to see a weight loss physician?
--------------------
If you're in the US, there are confidentiality laws that do not allow anyone to see your medical records without you giving permission (with the exception of the hospital/doctor/etc.) There is one exception- if your insurance is through a health and welfare benefit plan, then whoever administers the plan has access to what funds are used for. Those are rare, though, so you probably have nothing to worry about.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment