Sunday, December 12, 2010

Can I claim my disabled live in parent on my health insurance as a dependent?

My mother recently moved in with me and I take care of her room/board and all other expenses. She was working but was laid off and now her COBRA is running out. As she is 63 and suffers from a debilitating disease, can she be claimed on my health insurance as my dependent? Thanks.
--------------------
This is a question that we get a lot. The insurance company bases enrollment eligibility on how the year end tax form would read. If your mom is claimed as a dependent on your Taxes then they should allow her to join on your family coverage through COBRA. Now every insurance company is different, and if that fails then many times there is medicaid available or health insurance risk pools available for people that have a hard time getting individual insurance. The biggest fact that you have to figure out is if you can file her as a dependent on a tax document and if so you have a pretty good case. Good luck and if that doesnt work you can email me at j.marvin@integrityriskmgt.com to see where I might recommend looking at alternatives.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment