Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Can I be on my boyfriends health insurance and am I his dependent?

My boyfriend and I have a son together. We are not going to get married, he has too much debt to get married. I stay home and take care of our son. He just started a new job and has benifits!!! FINALLY!!! Can I get onto his health insurance since I am the mother of his son? and on taxes am I his dependent? We live in Oregon.
--------------------
The only way you can do it is if his employer offers Domestic Partner coverage. (And even then...only if you meet the criteria to be covered as a Domestic Partner. You'd have to be prepared to show evidence - things like proof of joint ownership, such as a bank account or loan in both of your names, proof that you reside together, possibly signing a notarized statement about the nature of your relationship, etc. Whatever his particular employer would require.) However, if his employer does not offer Domestic Partner coverage (most don't), then there's nothing you can do. Except get married, of course. (Technically you *can* get married - you guys just don't *want* to because of his financial situation. Its splitting hairs, of course, but not quite accurate to say that he "can't" get married.)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment