Saturday, November 13, 2010

Will health insurance cover my heart condition?

I am looking to buy my own insurance but am wondering if my heart condition that i was born with will be covered or if it will be considered a pre-existing condition. My heart condition is not life threatening, but it is expensive to go to the cardiologist. I am looking for some type of health coverage. I haven't had health insurance in almost a year. I am only covered when my mom has a full time job, which she does not right now. Sorry if it doesnt make sense but any useful information will be greatly appreciated.
--------------------
Hi Rachel, I've been in the insurance industry for a while and this question comes up very often. My advice to you is to get an inexpensive high deductible policy with an exemption for your condition. This means that whatever expenses you incur from your condition won't be paid by the company but your premium will be much lower. After you've gotten your policy, I recommend you open a health savings account. You can deposit as much money as you want up to the amount of your policy deductible yearly. This money accumulates very quickly and is tax favored but can only be used for health purposes. (Otherwise Uncle Sam will hit you with a very hefty penalty) After a while depending on how much you're depositing, you'll have a nice cushion to help you out with your doctor visits and such. This way you can be insured for any health problems you have other than your heart condition and sort of self insure yourself when it comes to your preexisting condition. i hope this helps. If you have any more questions you can let me know or read my blog for some reference. allyinsurance.wordpress.com
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment