Saturday, November 13, 2010

Can expats returning to America get health insurance coverage for preexisting conditions?

In my case I have type 1 diabetes. If I live abroad(Sweden for example) and later return to America, will I have to wait 1 year before I can qualify for coverage diabetes related health care expenses. Assuming I have a job that offers good to health insurance benefits.
--------------------
You need to maintain "creditable coverage" while you are abroad. See link below for more information. Unless you are former military or federal employee, I see two options: 1) Cobra 2) A state run, high risk insurance pool. The problem with both options, other than the cost, is that only emergency services will be covered outside of the US. So you may need an international travel medical policy also. See the second link. The travel policy will not cover preexisting conditions, or meet the definition of creditable coverage (my opinion). What I don't know is, how will you obtain your meds while overseas? Pay for them out of pocket, or can you have them mailed to you? Happy travels. Don http://mtnhealthinsurance.com
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment