Friday, November 5, 2010

What to do if your application for health insurance coverage is denied due to lower back issues?

I was denied new health insurance coverage in May 2007 because of lower back pain in January 2007 for which I received physical therapy. I have had continuous health insurance coverage for more than 2 years with no history of back ailments. If I reapply again now (for coverage starting in September), am I likely to be denied again? Is there anything I can do about it? My group coverage through work is very costly, and I'd prefer to have a more affordable plan.
--------------------
Depending upon your state, many companies will decline if you've had any back problems in the past 5 years. Visit a local independent agent. This person can contact the underwriters for you to see if any will accept you. Some companies may accept you but put a rider on any back problems. This means they won't cover anything that has to do with or is a result of the back problems. Some companies may cover after 1 year. The agent can find out for you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment