Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Will my Health Insurance be gone after I graduate from college?

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance. And the only reason why my mom can still list me as a person under her plan is because I am a college student. AM I SCREWED THE SECOND I WALK ACROSS THE STAGE TO GET MY DIPLOMA? or What if it take more than 6 months to find a decent job? How long am I covered until after I graduate?
--------------------
Yes. You will have to get your own insurance because of the status change. In the state of Florida, you have sixty days to pick up new insurance for it to be considered continuous. If you let sixty days lapse before your new insurance starts, you will be subject to pre-existing condition clauses which can literally end up costing thousands of dollars depending on the treatment. (If you actually needed it. Obviously) Check with your state's laws to be sure. I would think they play along those lines though. I am graduating this semester too! Good luck!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment