Saturday, June 18, 2011

will I still have health insurance if I dont go back to work when I have the baby?

My husband has insurance that he pays for by himself. Would I be able to switch to his insurance while I am still pregnant So i would be covered when I have the baby? I don't plan on going on maternity leave till the last minute I can,
--------------------
Yes you should be able to switch over to his plan now. Since you are covered, they can not deny you for a pre-existing condition. Also, according the the dept. of insurance, maternity cannot be considered pre-exsisting anyway. However, it sounds like he has a private plan and not a group plan. I would look at the maternity coverage of his plan before you switch. Private plans usually have really high maternity deductables. Most group plans will go through the end of the month in which you quit. My hubby was laid off in the middle of Oct. and we had insurance through the end of Oct. Most are like that. They are also required by law to offer you COBRA, it is pricey- but when having a baby, it is better than paying out of pocket. I had to do that. You can always look into Medicaid. The income limits are different from state to state. see if you will qualify.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment