Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why should patients be treated without health insurance?

I am doing some research for this question for my Bioethics class. As a future physician, I strongly support this statement and need some more feedback universally.
--------------------
Because not everyone can afford to have health insurance. Medicaid on applies to the very poor... not to the people that are barley getting by. Patients without insurance are people too, and have family and friends that love them very much. Not to long ago, I was without insurance. I was a 19 year old college student, my mom got laid off. I lost my insurance and I was too old to get Medicaid. I went 4 years without insurance. I was working on my under graduate degree, and then went for my Masters. I was working a job that did not offer health insurance (I was working 40+ hours a week), but needed to stay there since they work around my schedule. I went to health clinics when I was sick and saved up enough money to pay for my gyno visits as well as my dental visit (which I found a health clinic that was reasonable in price and took people with no insurance). I finally got a new job, but they did not offer health insurance right away. I was there for over a year before I got health insurance. It is hard finding a job that offers health insurance. Especially when you are young. There are so many jobs that do not offer it to their employees for one reason or another. Health insurance on your own is so expensive that it is sometimes better to take a chance and go to the doctor and pay out of pocket when needed. I wish United States will follow the lead of Canada and Europe and offer Health insurance to all the citizens.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment