Thursday, May 19, 2011

How do you deal with depression and anxiety when you no longer have health insurance and cannot afford to pay?

full price for prescriptions? I don't have health insurance as of the new year. My problem is that I am taking three different prescriptions for depression and anxiety, (Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, and Ativan) and I can simply not afford to pay full price for them (around $250.00 per prescription). Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help myself? I am already mentally prepared for withdraw, I just don't want to end up feeling hopeless and worthless. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
--------------------
I have been trying to treat mine without prescripts: start by watching what you eat (healthy eating makes you feel better...) and try to work out more often. Contact the local county mental health department and find a therapist who offers services on a "sliding scale" so weekly/biweekly sessions are more within your means. Professional help is essential to helping you solve this problem. In addition, keep a journal: this is key to helping your therapy work best ~you can review it and see what your consistent issues are.. and try to figure out what some of the causes are.. I have also been taking vitamins, fish oil and consistently doing yoga/stretching to try to keep my "stress" levels down.. Also, family/friend support is helpful too: let them know you are having a tough time and want their help and support to get through it. If you are religious, this may be a time to reach out to that community also or if you are not (like me), it may be time to find a group which fits your beliefs. Also, find new hobbies. It is good if they are social, but even if they are solitary and you enjoy them: hobbies give you something to look forward to and distract you (ps: tv doesn't count!!) I've had friends come down off prescrips and it isn't fun.. just remember you are in charge of your health: mentally and physically!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment