Thursday, May 19, 2011

Health Insurance Open Enrollment is In December I'm 23/m Just lost H.Ins off parents plan due to age do I qual?

I'm 23/m part-time student. I just lost my health insurance a month ago due to my age. My jobs open enrollment is only in December and I need health care now. Does this qualify as an exception to let me enroll now (loss of coverage)?
--------------------
you need a "qualifying event" to join your company's insurance program, at a time different than the open enrollment. There are mulitple life events INCLUDING loss of dependent status of another plan This is you: you are no longer eligible on your parents policy because of your age, so your dependent status has changed. Others are death, change in marital status, birth, adoption, etc. Your company has a "plan document" that will specify specifically what changes are allowed. Have them show you were it says that you aren't eligible. Also, I hope that you have been nagging the company for awhile about this, because you only have 30 days from the date of occurance to select the new benefits. If you asked them before the 30 days was up, you probably have a case for them to retroactivately enroll you. If you can't get enrolled, your parents insurance is also required to offer you COBRA when you lose enrollment. You have 60 days to elect this coverage. Although, they will back charge you from the start of the 60 days. It may make sense to elect this coverage and then switch to your companies benefits starting Jan 1, 2010 (chose it in December open enrollment)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment