Monday, March 14, 2011

If I sue my health insurance company, can I make part of the settlement that they have to guarantee coverage?

I am 19, and I have a 3 year old daughter. She talks with a lisp, and she can't walk correctly. She is going to need expensive leg braces to correct the way she walks, and the insurance company won't pay. I checked the fine print, and there is nothing that would allow them to do this. I am going to sue them to force them to pay, but I know they will surely drop us if we win. Can I prevent them from dropping us, and prevent them from raising my rate?
--------------------
Have you actually spoken to the insurance company and asked about the basis of their denial? Perhaps have them put the reason for denial in writing. Have you actually looked at the master policy (not just the summary booklet that health insurance gives you). There is a chance there is something in the policy that is being missed. Also - how did the dr code the treatment? This can result in a denial of coverage because the bill was not coded properly. Before you go getting all cranked up about filing a law suit-- check into it further. Lawsuits are not fast and they are very expensive. Depending on where you are, it could easily be 4 years before your case ever sees the inside of a court room. And, your health insurance provider has the money to fight the legal fight. Once you have gotten more information - and still think the expense should be covered -try contacting your states Department of Insurance. The DOI is the regulatory body for all insurance in your state. That includes Health insurance. If you end up later contacting an attorney and pursuing the matter - the more information you have gathered ahead of time the better.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment