Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When will my health insurance run out?

The last day of my current job is Jan 22nd. I am getting married at the beginning of March and want to be sure I have coverage until I can be added to my husband's insurance. So, my question is: Will my Aetna health insurance last for 30 days from the last day I work? Or does it terminate at some other time?
--------------------
No, it won't last 30 days. How exactly long it lasts, depends on how your employer originally set it up. Normally, it's either goin to be until Jan 23rd, or Jan 31st. What you CAN do, is take COBRA coverage if it's offered. Or, the sneakier way - don't REJECT the COBRA coverage - but hang onto the paperwork. You have 60 days to accept or decline. Then, if something goes wrong, you accept it, and send in your money, and get your retroactive coverage. And if something doesn't go wrong, you don't pay for the insurance, and just get added to hubby's.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment