Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm interviewing for a job with low hrly wage. Can I ask for higher wage by declining their health insurance?

My partner has good health insurance that covers both of us - so I don't need theirs. The hourly wage for the position I am interviewing for is $11 per hour. My interview is tomorrow and I appreciate any insight!
--------------------
Some companies will give you some extra money per paycheck if you decline their insurance. It's usually not that much though. My employer used to give an extra $20 a paycheck if you didn't have their insurance. But, this year they changed it so that they will apply the $20 to any other out-of-pocket benefit (like dental or vision) and anything that's left over gets put into a flexible spending account for medical expenses- which can ONLY be spent on medical stuff. So we no longer get to keep the cash. That's just my company, other companies may be different. And in this economic climate, $11 an hour ain't bad!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment