Saturday, August 20, 2011

Just got out the Army, no health insurance, what to do?

I just got out of active Army where I was 100% covered, but had no health problems except for a leg problem which I claimed with the VA. I immediately joined the Reserves so I do not qualify for the 180 days of medical coverage after being discharged. I just received a letter from the VA telling me I had an abnormal PAP smear and I should have a colposcopy with my physician. The problem is I dont have one and it is way too expensive to get one with no insurance. I dont have a job yet so I cant afford it. I also started experiencing back pain just after I got out the army and found out my spine is misaligned. I never experiences this problem in the Army so I have no medical record of it to claim with the VA. What can I do???
--------------------
If you received hostile fire pay, eminent danger pay while in the Army, then you are qualified to two years of VA medical coverage after your service. the VA also has a means test ( income) to determine other non-service connected veterans benefits. The current means test is income under $27,000 for a single with no dependents. As of janurary 2007, the VA is no longer accepting category 8 veterans, those who's income exceeds the VA means test. So, it sounds like you should be covered. Take your DD-214 and your last LES statement( plus any LES that shows hostile fire or eminient danger pay) to your local VA Hospital or Clinic. Goo luck in your struggles, hope your back isn't serious and gets better soon.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment