Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm about to be declined for health insurance--do I have any legal rights to see what they have on me?

The agent informed me underwriting was going to deny my application, no reason given. She said people with my kinds of health problems usually got stuck with exclusions on covering certain pre-existing conditions but weren't totally denied. Do I have any consumer rights like I supposedly do with a credit bureau to see if there are errors, or has the insurance industry bought Congress so thoroughly they can do anything they please and keep everything secret?
--------------------
Yes, you have the right to find out why they denied you. Much like a credit report insurance companies use and report to the MIB (medical information bureau). The agent should have told you this, but they cannot disclose to the agent why due to the HIPAA laws. Write to the company, and they will provide your doctor the reason in some states. Some states they will send you a letter automatically. Then talk to your doctor as to what is in your medical records. Very often there is an error, someone else's records in your file, or a diagnosis that was unfounded and never reported as a non diagnosis. What type of insurance did you apply for. There are many companies that can offer you coverage that do not have pre-existing clauses as long as you are an average risk. Insurance agents are not happy with the HIPAA laws either, it is for clients protection but it ties our hands and helping our clients. Let me know if you need help locating this information. Susan
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment