Thursday, August 4, 2011

How do I buy insurance (health, life, disability, long term, etc.)? I'm self-employed and my wife is pregnant.

I have no clue how the insurance industry works, so I feel like I'm in a bad position to bargain shop. I tend not to trust slick advertising. Do I need to read a book? Are there trust-worthy, friendly, smart professionals who can meet and talk with you about this? What are they even called??
--------------------
Let me start by saying - I am not sure how it works in your state, but in Nevada; a lady who is pregnant can not get individual coverage until she delivers AND and expecting father can not get indivdiual coverage as well. This is because of the risk associated with covering a newborn. Because you are self employed - do you have a LLC, C or S corp? If so, are both you and your wife listed on the articles of incorp or the list of managers? If so, and both of you work for the company - you may qualify for Group Coverage. In the state of Nevada, pre-existing exclusions for pregnancy are not allowed on group plans. Find a good broker to discuss your options.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment