Monday, August 1, 2011

Health Insurance for Recent College Grad?

I just graduated from college, and my school health insurance has expired. I'm not working, and back to live with my parents. My mom refuses to add me to her insurance plan (Aetna). She is saying that I'm over 21, that's why she can't add me, but my dad who's 65, and also working, and is eligible for Medicare, is on her plan, along with my 13 year old brother. What can I do to make her add me? I really need health insurance.
--------------------
First you need to understand it's not your mom that is refusing, it's the health insurance plan. Every health insurance plan has rules as to what family members qualify. Spouse and children 18 and younger can be covered, but once you turn 18 you have to be in college FT for it to cover you and in most cases if your in college FT it will only cover you to the age of 21. So since you are 21 and out of school the insurance will not cover you, even if you are living at home and have no insurance, this is just how it is otherwise everyone could be covered under a family plan forever, which would make health insurance through an employer too expensive for people to carry. Since you are an adult, and finished w/college you need to look for a job that offers benefits, in the mean time you can check out your state medicaid coverage and see if you qualify. Your not alone in this everyone who grows up and turns 18 has to find their own health insurance coverage, or if they go to college FT they can have it until they are 21, then your own. Don't mean to sound harsh but your an adult and your parents can't provide everything for you forever, even if they wanted to this is the rules of health insurance plans. So find a job w/health insurance, in the meantime see if you can enroll for medicaid (state health insurance coverage). It's tough, but this is life. Best of luck! HR Manager
Source

1 comment:

  1. I am also in the same position and is looking for a good solution as I need health insurance plan for sure. You have suggested such a great option that I find a really nice. Thanks for giving this excellent advice.
    commercial insurance

    ReplyDelete