Sunday, June 5, 2011

Can your spouse legally cancel you and dependents from health insurance policy.?

There are no legal papers and during open enrollment my spouse who I am separating from canceled me and our four dependents from insurance without notifying me during open enrollment; understand this is legal to do. However, because he did not notify me, I have now missed my 30 period to apply for benefits at my current employer leaving me with no coverage until open enrollment next year. Is this an appropriate action? Would he have to notify me?
--------------------
Yes. During open enrollment, the plan subscriber - your spouse - can choose which, if any, dependents they keep insured, or drop. YOU don't get entitled to any notification, as YOU are not the plan subscriber. Is it appropriate? No, it shows that your marriage is in crisis, that you're not talking about that kind of stuff. That's a bigger problem than not having health insurance, IMO.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment