Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When you get health insurance through your employer, can you be denied coverage for preexisting conditions?

I went to the chiropractor and the doctor filed a claim to my insurance company. They denied my claim, saying my injury had built up over a long period of time, therefore making it a pre-existing condition. I didn't think this was legal in California, considering that I got the insurance through work. I'm looking into it, and considering getting a lawyer. Should I bother?
--------------------
You have already gotten some good advice about checking your plan, checking with Human Resources, asking the insurance company. You should do all those things. If you get to the end of your rope and you have not received a satisfactory resolution, don't call an attorney yet - they are expensive and you have one more no-cost option. Contact your state insurance department and lodge a formal complaint against the insurer. They carry a lot of weight with insurance companies and may be able to provide good help to you. In California, go to http://www.insurance.ca.gov/contact-us/0… Best wishes.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment