Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I need info on temporary health insurance coverage with a type II diabetes pre-existing condition?

My cobra policy ran out 12/31/07 and I start a new job on 2/4/08. There is a 3 month waiting period for the new group policy to take effect. That will put me over the 63 day period time lapse and I will loose coverage on my pre-existing conditions. Does anyone know of a company that offers stop gap short term coverage that accepts Type II diabetics? Thanks for the help.
--------------------
You don't need a temporary policy for two reasons: 1) your new plan's 3-month waiting period is NOT counted against your 63-day HIPAA period; 2) if you accept a temporary policy, under HIPAA rules, you will give up your right to transfer your "creditable coverage" to your new insurer. If your new plan has a pre-existing condition exclusionary period, you'd have no protection. If you're able, it's best for you to pay out of pocket until your new coverage takes effect. For more information on HIPAA, go here: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consume…
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment