Friday, May 27, 2011

Can my boss see how often I use my health insurance?

I've been fighting with the early stages of breast cancer for the last few months and everything is going good. I just don't want my boss or people at my job to know. I want to be still treated like a professional but I'm worried that if my boss can see how much I'm using the health insurance it may raise some questions.
--------------------
HIPAA protects you from your employer seeing how often you use your health insurance, and if somehow they do find out, you would, as the other poster said, would want to contact a lawyer. When I worked for Blue Cross people would call up and try to get information for their employer, employee, father, daughter, etc, and we were not allowed to tell them anything unless the person gave us permission beforehand. If we got caught giving out information without consent, we could lose our job. I wish you the best with your fight :)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment