Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What happens if you continue to use your health insurance after being downsized from an employer?

My position ended with a company in Oct., they have yet to cancel my benefits, or offered to continue them under COBRA. I need a simple surgical procedure performed should I use?
--------------------
You're taking a chance. I had the same experience a few years ago. I take a couple of prescription drugs regularly. When I got the ax, I phoned my drugstore for refills as soon as I walked out of my job. They were filled and there wasn't any problem. Several months later, the insurance company began writing me, about every 2 weeks, telling me that I was responsible for the full cost of the drugs. I wrote back after their 2nd or 3rd attempt, and stated that they were writing the wrong person. If my former employer failed to cancel my insurance in a timely manner, and they felt they were due any money, they should contact my former employer for reimbursement, because after all, my insurance was provided by him. They wrote one more time, then went away! However, I wouldn't try the surgical procedure, no matter how simple. If you've been gone since October, your act would be deliberate and I'm sure you couldn't get out of paying for the cost of the procedure when you're caught, even if you're able to have the claim put in to your former insurance company initially. Regarding, COBRA ... that's a federal issue, your former employer has 30 days to get paperwork to you ... period! What happens most often though, is that if you are currently unemployed, you're not going to be able to afford the COBRA costs. COBRA allows the full cost of the insurance and a 2% 'administrative' fee to be charged. You wind up having to pay 102% of the cost of the insurance your former employer provided at whatever cost to you. Can you afford that? Most unemployed people can't!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment