Saturday, March 26, 2011

Must I now get health insurance from my employer?

I work for a large hospital system where I've chosen to get paid more, but get no benefits, including no health insurance benefits. I have my own private health insurance and have had it for years. Under the now-passed healthcare reform, must my employer now cover me? I'm worried about this because my paycheck will be significantly less, if I must get benefits from now on.
--------------------
As of right now, no. The portion of the bill that requires you to have insurance doesn't go into effect until 2014. Even then, as long as you have a qualified health plan you will not be required to take employer insurance. However, the Secretary of Health is charged with determining the exact details so who really knows what those details will look like.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment