Saturday, March 26, 2011

If I get married will I lose my health insurance?

I'm a full time student and am currently covered by my parents health insurance plan because of this. If I were to get married, would I lose that coverage?
--------------------
If you get married, you would no longer qualify as a dependent under your parents insurance plan. (It would be an exceptionally rare case that would allow a married child to remain on a parent's plan....so rare that I can't recall ever seeing an example of one.) I've worked on dependent audits for group benefit plans, and if your parents were to be audited they would have to provide evidence that you qualify under their benefits. (For example, showing copies of current tax returns showing that they are still claiming you as a dependent, etc.) Once you're married and on your own, you wouldn't qualify.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment