Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How good is a life/health insurance agent career, would it be a good choice?

Hi, I was a mortgage broker for 5 years and at one point I making almost a 6-figure income. Right now things are not that great and my income took a major decrease this year. I am thinking about getting my insurance license but then again I'm not sure if I would make very good money at it like the mortgage industry. This would be something new for me and I am not sure if it is worth it although many agents claim that it's so great and they're incomes are through the roof, not sure if that's true or just HYPE?
--------------------
It's true. You can make a ton in this industry. Of course everyone is going to tell you they make great money--who ever says "My income is down the crapper with this business!" The reason most people wash out of this business is the same reason mortgage salespeople wash out--bad prospecting and no one to see. If you were successful in another sort of financial sales, selling complex intangible products to people, you'll do fine in the insurance business. I think you'll find a little more trust from your clients off the bat. After being in the mortgage industry for a year I went into insurance, where I've been for 4 years, and I felt a little more prestigious. Maybe it was all in my mind. Oh, by the way, find one or two lines you enjoy and make it your niche. I focus on health insurance and also annuities. I do cross sell life, disability and long-term care, but if you do too much you'll spread yourself too thin. Products and regulations change so fast is hard to become an expert on all of those products, especially for me as I represent 6 carriers. I would definitely start at a place like Northwestern Mutual, MetLife, New York Life, or New England Financial before going independent. They have great training and support programs for you as you learn the business. Plus you'll have the advantage of learning from top producers doing joint appointments. Good luck to you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment