Friday, February 25, 2011

What is the difference between a traditional health insurance company and a HMO?

I'm in medical assisting school and one of the questions I have to answer for my homework is : Discuss the differences between HMO's and traditional insurance plans and I can't seem to find the answer. HELP!!
--------------------
That must be a very old question. HMO plans are now considered traditional plans with group policies. I don't have exact figures but if I had to guess probably two-thirds of all group plans are HMO's so if that's not traditional I don't know what is. In the past, when HMO plans first came out, Indemnity plans were considered "traditional" plans but it is rare for a group policy to be an indemnity plan these days. It is slightly more common with individual policies. PPO and POS plans are much more common. The main difference between the plans is an HMO has a doctor network while an Indemnity allows you to visit any doctor, and therefore is much more expensive (PPO and POS also have a network). Also, the managed care model of an HMO is absent with the other plans. That is probably the point of the question and probably what you need to focus on.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment