Friday, February 25, 2011

I am a recent widow with children. How can I get health insurance with out paying an arm and leg?

My husbands insurance expired shortly after he passed away leaving us without insurance. I received a life insurance sum which prevents me from getting on medicaid. I am expecting a little boy in July and am seeking insurance that won't wipe us out financially. Any ideas?
--------------------
Unfortunately, and I hate being the bearer of bad news, unless you get a job that has health insurance with maternity benefits you are out of luck. No individual insurance company will accept anyone pregnant; that's like trying to get homeowners insurance after your house burns down. Even if they did accept you most plans have a 12 month wait for maternity. You should contact the doctor and hospital and set up a pre-payment plan with them. Explain you don't have insurance and they'll work with you. Depending upon where you live you can expect a bill for a delivery without complications to be in the $3000 - $5000 range. Just cross your fingers and hope you don't have complications.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment