Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Switching health insurance plans during pregnancy?

Here is the story.. Both my wife and I work and have own health insurance plans though companies. I planned to switch her to my plan during the open enrollment in August as mine offers better benefits and it would be effective from September 1. Now, we just learned that my wife is 4-week pregnant. Will we have any trouble claiming for the pregnancy-related bills from my health insurance provider (Blue Cross Blue Shield) after the switch? Another question is that, the first doctor's visit is coming up in a few weeks. Could my wife use her insurance for the first visit, then use my insurance after the switch for subsequent visits as well as the baby delivery? Thanks!
--------------------
Here in Nevada - insurance carriers are not allowed to put pre-existing condition exclusions for pregnancy on GROUP SPONSORED plans. I am not sure of the laws in your state however - the general rule of thumb for all pre-ex conditions is: If you had health insurance coverage during the diagnosis and there has not been a lapse of coverage for more than 63 days there can not be any pre-existing conditions attached to the GROUP SPONSORED policy. This is verified through the evidence of coverage (EOC) that you will receive once your wife drops her plan. The main thing to look at is your physicians - make sure the doctor she is going to visit in a couple weeks is also listed as a participating provider for your new health plan. You shouldnt have any problems - just keep the physicans updated when you get your new ID cards. Hope this helps!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment