Sunday, January 30, 2011

My health insurance company is cancelling my policy because my company did not pay the premium.?

I got a letter from my health insurance carrier saying my coverage was being terminated as my employer did not pay the premium for the last three months. However, They have taken the premium's out of my paycheck every pay period and they show it on the check. The insurance company also says I will be liable for any services they paid for during this period. What can I do.
--------------------
Unfortunately, the contract with the insurance company is with your employer and so if premium was not paid then the contract will cancel and no benefits can be paid after that time. Your issue is with your employer - what did they do with the payroll deductions if it wasn't paid to the insurance company? If they are unable to pay back premium and have the policy reinstated, then do they have a plan in place to provide health insurance back to that cancellation date? If not, they owe you the payroll deductions back and you will need to acquire insurance on your own. I would consider this a BIG red flag that your employer is not doing well financially or, at best, the benefits department is incompetent (neither is a good thing for employees). If your employer continued to take payroll deductions after they knew the policy was terminating and didn't notify employees, then I wonder if they aren't somehow implying coverage and might be forced to pay your medical bills - but I'm not a lawyer and do not know the answer to this. Good luck! Also, a good resource is... http://www.knowledged.info/go.php?link=i… Good Luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment