Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Can someone sue my parents if they pay my health insurance and I get into a car accident?

My insurance agent said that if I am in an accident and my parents pay my health insurance then someone can sue them. He said it does not matter if I have my own car and car insurance policy and am not a minor. Is it true that if my parents pay my health insurance they are putting themselves at risk? I am getting kicked off my parents car insurance policy and was looking into the options. My agent is not asking me to buy more insurance- just the opposite actually. The agent said that insurance companies will look into who pays the drivers health insurance and then go after them. Is this true and or legal?
--------------------
It's quite possible. I had a client with an adult child, they got sued for $2,000,000 due to the injuries their 26 year old child caused in a car accident . . . they lost that lawsuit. Ouch! Insurance companies don't CARE who pays health insurance. It's the other guy's LAWYER who cares. And they're going to sue your parents, pretty much if you live with your parents, or they substantially pay your way.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment