Thursday, December 9, 2010

How would Bush's proposal for tax deductible health insurance work?

I understand that he would propose a $7500 tax break for singles, $15000 for family. What currently comes out of my paycheck for insurance would become taxable. So, am I to believe we will be getting (yet another) tax statement from our employer or insurance company (for individual plans) telling us the value of our health insurance? I estimate my insurance (and I arrived at this by checking what my COBRA payments would be should I leave the company) to be worth $14400, pretty close to the max allowed under Bush's proposal. I by no means think I have "cadillac" health insurance. My preventative care is already 100 % covered. I pay a $1000 deductible for every family member (max of $3000) even before my insurance kicks in. After that I pay 15% coinsurance until my max out of pocket is met $5,000. This is assuming I stick with in network providers. I pay $83.50 every two weeks in premiums. I would be for this plan if all the money taxed off the upper crust was put into a fund
--------------------
OK, I think instead of kicking in money for a gym membership, we should have "state sponsored gyms". Which is kinda silly, because we have state paid for sidewalks and streets, and MOST people have shoes, and you can walk/run down the street for NOTHING. Use the stairs, not the elevator. Park at the far end of the lot. Walk to the grocery store. Outlaw fast food joints. And ice cream. And smoking, and booze, and private car ownership - if we all BIKED to work, we'd be much healthier. That will do WONDERS for our health. I'm not familiar with Bush's plan. Sorry, haven't heard of it. But I do know that anything government does, they do it the least effeciently with the highest fraud. So I'm not crazy about government controlled anything (except military). And I'm REALLY not crazy about government health care, social medicine, whatever you want to call it. It works about as well as government housing - which I do NOT want to live in.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment