Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Does using parents health insurance make me dependent?

I am 23, and using my moms health insurance for school. I have paid all of my own taxes federal and state, but I am not getting an economic stimulus check because I am considered dependent. I am also over 19 so my parents didnt receive the money either. Why doesnt myself or my parents get my money, and why did i have to file taxes on my own if i am still dependent. I am sorry if this is simple, but I am confused and broke, trying to pay for school...
--------------------
Being a dependent on your parent's health insurance plan is only allowed because you are a dependent of your parent's according to their tax return (not the other way around). Of course some insurance companies make exceptions and there are small differences from company to company but generally speaking this is the case. Most plans will force you to purchase your own health insurance plan at age 24 or 25 even if you are a full time student so you should make sure that you keep your health insurance coverage up to date. Here is some more information on finding a student health insurance plan:
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment