Friday, November 19, 2010

Why does a health insurance company request an independent peer review company to review a patient's appeal?

I am in the middle of a second level appeal with my health insurance company. They are now requesting I sign and send them a release of my medical records to have an outside peer review company investigate my medical records in order to make a decision on my case. Why are they doing this? What should I do? I do not feel comfortable doing this but I also feel they would deny the appeal if I decided not to do this? Anyone know about this or what rights I have regarding this situation? Thanks!
--------------------
The outside peer review is an unbiased board, meaning they will just look at, and make their decision on, the facts of the case. This is part of your contract with the insurance company and if you refuse to cooperate the appeal will get dropped. If the appeal is dropped you have no further recourse.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment