Friday, November 19, 2010

what do you do when health insurance rejects you?

I'm a student and have been on my parent's health insurance for awhile. However, that's expiring and now I need to purchase my own health insurance. Unfortuantely, I've been rejected for a few plans due to a very small problem (rare panic attacks, which have been taken care of for some time with a medication that's not very expensive at all). So, if this keeps happening, what do I do? Just accept that I can't have health insurance? And how will I get my medication? Will I be forced to buy illegally over the internet? What do people do in these situations?
--------------------
Call your state insurance commissioner's office. Some states have "high risk pools" that will cover you. (It's not as bad as you think!) If there's no high risk pool in your state, the commissioner's office should be able to give you some alternatives. Question: did you elect COBRA after your coverage under your parents' policy ended? If not, you should look into it. (Not all employers have to offer COBRA -- only those with 20 or more employees -- but some states have laws that extend this continuation right to small employers.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment