Monday, November 22, 2010

Is it possible to add an elderly parent to your company health insurance?

I know that situations obviously vary from place to place and from situation to situation, but my parents are self-employed, and will be retirement age in about 15-20 years. Am I able to add them to my health insurance to ensure that they have medical coverage? If not, is there anything they can do now to ensure that they're taken care of medically when retirement time arrives?
--------------------
No, parents are never dependents - even if you are their legal guardians. Retirement age is 65 . . .so saying that they are 45 now, and elderly, YIKES!! I just had a baby, and I'm "elderly" too!! LOL What they will have to do is apply for medicare. That's the only "taker" for elderly people looking for health insurance, unless their employer provides health benefits for retirees.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment