Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How soon I can use my employer supported health insurance?

I am going to start a new job from the last week of June. I am getting health care through my employer. I am wondering, would I be able to use my health insurance from July 1st? If I have a doctor visit on July 1st, would that be covered by my new insurance? My main question is, is there a "waiting period" for an insurance actually become active, after I am being insured?
--------------------
That will depend on the guidelines that your HR department has established. It is not uncommon for their to be a waiting period or even a period where you have coverage but your pre-existing conditions are not covered immediately (this 2nd scenario usually only happens when you have not had continuous coverage for the 6 months prior to joining the group plan). You will want to consider a short term health insurance plan so that you can have coverage until the waiting period is over. Be sure that you don't leave a gap in your coverage. Here is some more information on short term medical insurance plans:
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment