Saturday, August 27, 2011

what are some extreme examples of the measures people take when they don't have health insurance?

I read about the case of the man throwing his wife off the balcony because he couldn't pay her medical bills any longer and wondered what other extremes people have gone to....... anyone know of similar cases?
--------------------
Growing up we were really poor. My sister had terrible teeth. Long story short- my siblings and I went to foster homes, my parents to prison. My younger sister went to a home that took her to the dentist. She got braces. But over time her foster parents would not take her back to the dentist to get them removed. My sister waited two years longer than she should have and finally when she was 17yrs. old (I had my own apartment by then) I found her in my bathroom with a fork, pulling her braces off..one by one. All I could do was cry. To me, this was extreme. Could you imagine how much that hurt her? Oh, and once when I was a kid...I fell on a rock and made my front tooth turn black so my father laid me down on the ground and held me there while pulling the tooth out with a pair of pliers. Yeah..people do strange things when they feel they need it done and there are no means to pay for it. I believe that everyone should be entitled to health care!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment