Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Do health insurance companies cover homebirth?

What has been your experience/knowledge? Would the insurance company pay for the midwife or for equipment? Or would they claim it was too much of a risk and only pay for a hospital birth?
--------------------
I guess you're in the States. I've had two homebirths in Ontario, Canada and our health plan took care of everything. I think to know for sure, you're going to have to contact your insurance company, as I'm sure they all have different policies. It seems ridiculous to me that they would not cover it, as statistically speaking, homebirth is safer then a hospital birth, especially when you get into post-birth complications or infections from being in a foreign germ ridden environment (the hospital that is, not your home). You naturally don't use pain meds, so there's a huge savings right there.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment