Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I am starting my first job and must choose HRA, HSA, or Traditional health insurance. Which is best for me?

There are 2 different HRA plans. There is an HSA plan, as well as a Traditional plan. I am a 23 year old recent college grad male. I have no health problems and consider myself to be in extremely good shape. Based on these factors, can someone recommend which plan will be best for me? Thanks for your time!
--------------------
Because you are young and healthy I would choose the HSA plan. Health Savings Accounts are combined with a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) to offer a more affordable approach to health care. If your young and healthy why pay the higher premium for a traditional plan? Premiums for HDHPs are lower. HSAs have a tax favored status - meaning what you contribute is either pre-tax or tax deductible. Interest earned on the money is tax-deferred. Using the money to pay for qualified medical expenses is tax-free. Lower insurance premiums combined with using tax-free money can lead to significant savings. You don't lose your unused HSA contributions (up to $2,850 per year for a single person) as they rollover from year to year. As time goes on and your account balance grows you would not have a problem funding the deductible. BTW, You don't have to submit qualified expenses to your plan administrator as you just write a check out of your HSA account.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment