Thursday, June 16, 2011

Question about health insurance privacy issue?

I understand about the HIPPA laws that prevent anyone, including a spouse, from getting access to a person's medical records, etc. I know that nobody can get information about my medical history or prescriptions without my consent. So here is my question (and PLEASE, only knowledgeable answers!): When a spouse is carried on the other spouse's health insurance through their employer's group plan, can the spouse who actually carries the insurance readily get information on their insured spouse medical history, doctor visits, prescriptions, etc. through the insurance company? Here's the thing (and I am asking this information for my sister)....We have gone directly to the insurance provider and asked them about their policy on such an issue and are getting conflicting answers from their own staff. One call resulted in the employee stating that the husband can indeed get his wife's medical information through insurance. Another call resulted in the employee stating that absolutely no, the husband cannot get her info without the wife's written consent, even though she is carried on his plan. Anyone know for certain how this is handled? Thanks in advance.
--------------------
Actually, the fact is that if the patient is not a minor, the EOB should be sent to the patient's attention. That's how it works at the insurance company where I work (which is also where I have my insurance benefits). My son is 18 - once he turned 18, all EOBs started coming in his name. Technically, it would be against the law for anyone in the house to open those envelopes except him. A spouse does NOT have the right to private health information for his wife or adult children, even if he is the one carrying the insurance. Health information is private. The only way a spouse could LEGALLY access his wife's medical records is with her written consent. You were given misinformation by the employee who said the husband could have the wife's information. What's scary is that if the husband had called her, she'd have given him information that he has no right to.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment