Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I'm a grad student...Can I be covered under my parent's health insurance?

I am currently 22 and a grad student out of state. I claimed independence (you are required to as a grad student) and I am in the process of obtaining residency. Right now I'm on my dad's health insurance but he said since he can't claim me on my taxes as a dependent that I can no longer be on his health insurance. I have friends that continue to be on their parents. Anyone know if I'm allowed to be covered by my parents if I'm considered independent?
--------------------
The general rule of thumb is that a child must be financially dependent on the insured parent in order to be covered. Different plans vary according to maximum age, but ALL require financial dependency. To clarify "Ernesto's" response, you MAY be qualified for COBRA coverage -- but not all employers are subject to COBRA, such as small employers or the Federal Government. If the insurer tells you that you're no qualified for COBRA, look in your father's Certificate of Coverage to see what your options are. Some states have what's referred to as "mini-COBRA" that essentially gives you the same opportunity to continue the group coverage you have now.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment