Monday, June 13, 2011

Can somebody be added to a spouse's health insurance regarless of legal status?

My spouse who is a permanent legal resident in the US has insurance through the company that employs him. Since we are married, can he add me to his insurance given that I am out of status on my visa? In other words, he has an opition to add a spouse to his insurance, but could I benefit from it regardless of my legal status?
--------------------
As long as you have a social security number and date of birth he can add you to his health insurance. You have 30 days from the date of your qualifying event (that being you get married) to be added to your husbands health coverage. If you have gone past your 30 day window- you will have to wait for his employers "open enrollment period" which is dictated by when the employers group coverage is up for renewal. I can say with absolute certainty that John Deere,United Health Care and Blue Cross and Blue Shield work this way.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment