Tuesday, May 10, 2011

with changes in health insurance laws will my under 26 year old children be covered?

I am hearing on the news that 26 year olds should now be covered under parents plans regardless of being in school or not. However, a friend told me that this does not apply if the coverage is "self insured" but only if fully funded. Our insurance is with Cigna, but it is with my husbands employer and have been told that is "self insured". So will my 22 year old who is not in school be covered or not? He has been covered until now because he was in school, but not going this term or next.
--------------------
Disclaimer: I have NOT read the entire plan. But the parts I've read, I haven't seen a differentiation between a "qualified self insured" plan, and a "qualified group insurance" plan. You will need to call Cigna and ask - but I strongly suspect you can add him during open enrollment if he's already been dropped.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment