Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I am 5 months pregnant and my health insurance raised my rate, copayments and deductible. Can they do that?

I am enrolled in a Cobra plan and I am guessing that my former employer changed their plan to one with higher copayments and deductible. I asked the insurance company why they changed my plan and they said they did not have that information. Are they allowed to change my plan even though I am 5 months pregnant?
--------------------
COBRA means, you get to keep whatever group insurance the employer keeps. So if the employer changed the coverage plan, yes, that applies to you, also. And, FWIW, health insurance rates go up every year, for the most part - because CLAIMS are going up. Sorry, you have no recourse, unless you find a new job that offers insurance. You don't get 'grandfathered' into a plan the employer is no longer buying, just because you're planning on putting in a massive claim in four months.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment