Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Health Insurance?!?!?

Ok everyone..im 8 months pregnant and was recently let go from my job. I want to keep my doctor for the delivery in 7 weeks and im a little concerned. Im covered until the end of this month. However, we are paying for COBRA for a couple of months so that I can see my doctor and deliver with her. However, my question is...when this month is over...am i covered by COBRA?Because i heard that it is a long process and i still have prenatal visits every 2 weeks. If i go to the doctor, can i turn the bills over to cobra once it goes into effect?I called them and said that my employer has 30days to send them my info!! I could go in labor in 30 days, please help!
--------------------
Everyone gave decent answers. You'll be covered on Cobra from day one, so you're fine, don't sweat it. It may take some time to get the paperwork to you, but just sign it and send it in and you're good. They have to back date it to so that you have no lapse in coverage (as long as you get it into them in the alloted time which is like 45-60 days after you receive it). Just some clarifications to the answers already given...Cobra is not a health insurance program --it is simply an extension of the group insurance through your employer that you agree to pay for yourself. It is no more expensive than any other health insurance for comparable benefits. Group benefits tend to be richer benefits, so you get what you pay for. The reason why people THINK it's expensive is that the employer was paying half of it. When you go on COBRA, you're footing the entire bill. But it still is the monthly cost for the health insurance. There is a 2% administrative fee tacked on, but on a $400 a month premium, that's like, $8 bucks. Again, don't sweat it, and enjoy you're pregnancy. Good luck !
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment