Monday, March 21, 2011

Can a Canadian citizen get American health insurance?

I am a Canadian citizen who is engaged to an American. We are not getting married for a few more months, and immigration processes do take a rather long time, so I am concerned that while I am down here staying with him something could happen and I wont have any insurance. Travelers insurance is possible because I won't be out of the country for more then 6 months, however it is extremely expensive. I have no idea if it is even possible to get insurance without a social security number, which is not something I will be able to apply for anytime soon. Any ideas? Thanks!
--------------------
It depends. It depends on how long you've been down here and where you live. Some companies require 12 months of residence and others require no SS# and you can apply on your first day of residence. Travel insurance would be an option...and it's cheap -- less than $100/month.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment