Thursday, March 10, 2011

Are Australians covered for any public health insurance when living in the UK?

I am just trying to work out if it is cheaper for my girlfriend and I to get travel insurance or private health insurance as we will be abroad for 15 - 18mths
--------------------
Unless you are working and have been paying your "stamp" you will not be entitled to the services of the NHS for free. If you became ill or had an accident you would probably be seen to but you would have to pay. If I was in your shoes I would take out travel insurance...I certainly wouldn't like to receive a bill from anyone if I had an accident and had to arrange for the air ambulance to take me back to Australia. You also have to consider what would happen to the other one of you if circumstances were such that one of you became ill or had to be flown home...you wouldn't get much help from the NHS there!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment